Founded by Roger de Montgomery in 1083 on the site of an existing wooden Saxon church and dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, the Abbey is near Shrewsbury Centre; follow the brown heritage signs from the south and the east. The Abbey became the object of medieval pilgrims coming to pray at the relics of St Winefride. It was used by Royalist stronghold which Cromwell broke into. A new east window by John Pearson was added in the nineteenth century.
The Abbey was the home parish of the First World War poet, Wilfred Owen.
Photo: Abbey website