Shrewsbury Abbey SY2 6BS
Parking, wheelchair access, WC by prior arrangement. Open10-4 daily
Founded as a Benedictine monastery by Roger de Montgomery in 1083 on the site of an existing wooden Saxon church and dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, the Abbey is near Shrewsbury Centre; follow the brown heritage signs from the south and the east. The Abbey became the object of medieval pilgrims coming to pray at the relics of St Winefride. It hosted English parliaments in 1283 and 1398 and was surrendered to the crown in 1540 at the Dissolution of the monasteries. Amidst much destruction, the nave remained as the Parish Church, later surviving Cromwellian bombardment. A new east window by John Pearson was added in the nineteenth century.
A memorial to the First World War poet, Wilfred Owen, stands in the grounds.
Restoration Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Hillie2412/
Photo: www.dronerangers.co.uk (Abbey Facebook page)