Bitterley

St Mary  Bitterley, Ludlow. SY8 3HL  P. Wheelchair access.  Open daily

Bitterley Court Open Day.  13th July. Scroll down for poster

St Mary's is attractively situated next to Bitterley Court, half a mile from the village on the western slopes of Titterstone Clee. 

The church dates from around 1200AD and consists of a nave, a chancel and a western tower. The woodwork on the tower was added in the 19th century.. Before that the tower had a plain battlemented upper storey. 

 

The font is Norman, the oldest object in the church. There is also a fine iron-bound chest from the 13th century. 

The interesting monument near the altar (below) is to Timothy Lucye who died in 1616. He is shown kneeling in armour with a ruff round his neck. 

 

There is an excellent Jacobean pulpit, lectern and reading desk. 

 

In the north wall of the chancel there is a tomb recess.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the churchyard is a fine cross with a graceful shaft bearing a crucifixion. It has been dated to the 14th century.

Text mostly from 'The Churches of Shropshire', John Leonard

Contact: via 'A Church near You!

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/10421/

Powered by Church Edit